I only recommend products I use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
We did a bit of traveling to visit both sides of our family for Christmas. Do you travel during the holidays? What about New Years? Where will you ring in 2013?
We have put together a list of tips to keep yourself protected while traveling during the holidays that can also go for any time of travel not just the holidays.
- Even though its fun to update social media sites with where you are and who you are with and all that jazz it's best not to boast that you are headed 2 states away for a visit with your sister. You may know everyone on your list and consider them friends but you can never be to careful. I saw a news article weeks ago about a home that was broken in to by a "friend of a friend" that saw on Facebook that the family was away on vacation. Yikes!
- Even when I am just a few minutes away from home I have neighbors who keep an eye on my house for me. Know your neighbors and find someone you trust to keep an eye on your place when you aren't there. They can also pick up the mail/packages for you so the mailbox and front porch don't scream "no one's home come raid the place".
- If your flying, make sure you have plenty of any medications in a handbag as you can in case you get separated from your luggage or it gets lost. It could take days to be reunited with your luggage and you may not want to go days with any medication.
- Another flight tip- if you have gifts to bring with you or to take home. Take gift bags that you can put the gifts in because if they are wrapped all up looking pretty security will most likely want to unwrap it for inspection. With the gift bags you can go through inspection and pop the gifts in to the bags and you are good to go.
- If you have bills that will come due while you are away be sure to pay them ahead of time or put them on auto pay so you don't run the risk of forgetting to pay them and getting late fees. There is also the option of online bill paying but make sure to not use public wi-fi to shop online or check banking accounts. I don't trust public wi-fi for any personal things I need to do online.
- A tip for keeping up with money while you travel from a fan who is also a blogger (Growing Up Naturally in Home Child Care)- Something that we do while traveling is to never keep all of our money in the same place. We divide it between us equally then we each take half of that and hide it amongst our belongings (suitcase, backpack, diaper bag, etc.) The other half goes in our wallet. That way we each are only carrying ¼ of our cash on us at any given time. God forbid a bag is lost, we get mugged, etc., we still have cash on hand somewhere else.
You can find other travel safety tips with the LifeLock for Life Sweepstakes. You could win Visa gift cards, LifeLock memberships and even family vacations!
Safe travels and happy holidays from all of us here at Mama Bee Does and LifeLock.
disclosure: I am a LifeLock brand ambassador and I have been compensated for this post. Opinions are my own.