I only recommend products I use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
I may be in the minority with this opinion but I prefer apples over pumpkins when it comes to fall weather treats and drinks. Give me an apple spice cake donut over a pumpkin spice donut any day. This post and apple spice cake donuts recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
To make a dozen of these apple spice cake donuts you will need a box of apple spice cake mix, applesauce, ground cinnamon, apple pie spice, and sugar. See recipe card for exact measurements.
How to Make Apple Spice Cake Donuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, applesauce, apple pie spice, and cinnamon. Mix until you have a smooth batter. Fill each donut slot on the pan with batter. Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes. If you press your finger down onto the top of the donut and it bounces back up they are done. You can also check for doneness with a toothpick. Once your donuts are done baking, remove the pan from the oven and let them cool a little. When you have completely cooled off donuts then you can coat them with the cinnamon sugar mix. In a Ziploc storage bag, add your granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Place a donut in the bag and gently shake to coat. If you try coating more than one donut at a time you could cause the donuts to crumble.
If you coat the donuts while they are still warm (but cool enough for you to handle without getting burnt) they are just as delicious served warm. You can also choose to dip the donuts in a little melted butter before coating them with the cinnamon sugar topping.
If you can't find apple pie spice in your stores you can easily make your own with cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
No donut pan? Make apple spice cake muffins instead. Just grease the pan with non-stick cooking spray, add the batter to each cup filling them ¾ full, bake at 350 degrees for about 18-20 minutes. Dip the tops of the muffins in melted butter and then in the cinnamon sugar coating.
Baked Apple Spice Cake Donuts Recipe
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 & ½ cups applesauce
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the donut baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, applesauce, apple pie spice, and cinnamon. Mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Fill each donut slot on the pan with batter. This can be done by spooning the batter into the donut wells or pour the batter in a large Ziploc storage bag and snip a very small corner off of the bag and squeeze the batter into the wells.
- Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes. If you press your finger down onto the top of the donut and it bounces back up they are done. You can also check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Once your donuts are done baking, remove the pan from the oven and let them cool a little. When you have completely cooled off donuts then you can coat them with the cinnamon sugar mix.
- If you choose to dip the donuts in the melted butter before coating them you would dip them first and then go to the next step.
- In a Ziploc storage bag, add your granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Place a donut in the bag and gently shake to coat. If you try coating more than one donut at a time or shake too hard you could cause the donuts to crumble.
Giveaway!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today...
- Disney Villain Charcuterie Board from Big Bear's Wife
- Grave Yard Snack Mix from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Jelly Filled Ghost Donuts from Jen Around the World
- Cake Top Forward Halloween Cake from Pint Sized Baker
- Witch Finger Pretzels from Fresh April Flours
- Caramel Apples from Devour Dinner
- Easy Frankenstein Cupcakes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Halloween Haunted Fault Line Cake from The Redhead Baker
- Blood & Guts Cinnamon Rolls from 4 Sons 'R' Us
- Bloody Vampire Cherry Floats from Cookaholic Wife
- Candy Corn Cookies from Eat Move Make
- Halloween Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods from House of Nash Eats
- Friday the 13th Pancakes from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Spider Donuts from The Flour Handprint
- Halloween Bat Cupcakes from Baking Up Memories
- Haunted House Cake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Peanut Butter Ghost Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Apple Spice Cake Donuts from It's Shanaka
- Pumpkin Patch Cookie Cups from Sweet Beginnings
- Candy Corn Butterfinger Bark from Pastry Chef Online
- Spiderweb Cheesecake from The Spiffy Cookie
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Mummy Cookies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Oozing Red Velvet Cake from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Black Velvet Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Monster Burgers from An Affair from the Heart
- Spider Web Soup (Roasted Pumpkin Tomato Soup) from I am a Honey Bee
- Candy Corn Fudge from Back To My Southern Roots
- Dark Chocolate Black Cat Cookies from Savory Moments
- Three Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies from Our Good Life