I only recommend products I use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
If you are a chocolate cookie lover and enjoy a toasted marshmallow similar to a smore then these chocolate marshmallow cookies should be a must try recipe. The chocolate cookie base is a fudgy, brownie style cookie topped with a baked, gooey goodness marshmallow. If you topped the chocolate cookie with the toasted marshmallow and then dipped or topped the entire cookie in chocolate you would have a chocolate marshmallow surprise cookie. Either way they are delicious.
Not only could you top the cookie and marshmallow with a chocolate icing but you could also take the chocolate cookie dough and wrap it around the marshmallow for even more of a chocolate marshmallow surprise cookie. For this recipe we just topped the chocolate cookie with the marshmallow. I'm pretty sure that this chocolate marshmallow cookie recipe will be one of the recipes that one if not all of the kids ask me to hand over to them when they are older. You need these chocolate marshmallow cookies in your life too. They remind me of a chocolaty s'more or a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form. Can you use mini marshmallows in place of the large ones cut in half? Sure! You can use the minis in place of the regular ones if that is what you prefer or already have on hand.
- 1 & ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ TSP baking soda
- ½ TSP salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 TSP pure vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover 2 cookie/baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silicon baking mats. I use baking mats most of the time when baking cookies.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla, to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add the reserved bowl of flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon to measure dough size, roll the dough balls with your hands and place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly.
- Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begin to melt (usually only about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely; serve and enjoy!
If you make this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram please tag me @its_shanaka or use the hashtag #ItsShanaka so I can see your creations.