Coffee cake- dessert or breakfast? I say yes to both. I love baking cakes and as I have mentioned before Jersey Boy doesn’t like a lot of sweets. What a pair, right? Luckily he does eat a few things that I enjoy baking like coffee cake. I have partnered with Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, and Adam’s Extract to bring you this coffee cake recipe. This coffee cake recipe is a part of #SummerDessertWeek. I received samples to make this recipe with but as always opinions are my own.
coffee cake recipe
He may not like fondant, or most baked cakes that I make but gosh darn it he does eat my coffee cake. I keep telling myself that one of these days I will find another cake recipe to make that he will want to eat but until then I will keep making my coffee cake to share with him.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Red Star platinum yeast
1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons water
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon Adam’s Extract vanilla flavor
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
(optional) sugar glaze icing/drizzle
1/3 cup Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon Adam’s Best vanilla flavor extract
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- In a microwave safe dish, add the butter and water. Heat until the temperature of the butter water is 130 degrees on a thermometer. With my microwave it only took 1 minute for it to reach 130.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla to the heated butter water.
- Pour the water mix in to the dry ingredients bowl and stir until all combined.
- Spread the dough into a greased 9×5 inch baking pan.
- Cover the pan of dough and let rise in a warm place. I cheat and preheat my oven to 200 degrees for 5 minutes and then turn the oven off and let the covered baking dish of dough rise in the (turned off) oven for 45 minutes. My husband keeps our house on 68 so there’s not much dough rising if I don’t use the oven cheat.
- Once dough has risen remove the baking dish from the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the crumb dry ingredients and blend in the butter with your fingers to make it crumbly.
- Spread the crumble mix over top of the cake dough.
- Bake the coffee cake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake cools a few moments while you whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to make the sugar glaze drizzle. Pour over the cake and serve.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- Mint Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches from Southern From Scratch
Pies of Summer:
- Sweet Tea Pie from For the Love of Food
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- White Chocolate Espresso Cake with Caramel Espresso Buttercream from The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Mini Poundcakes from Forking Up
- Bee Sting Cake from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Coffee Cake from A Blender Mom
- Tropical Summer Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Banana Pudding No Bake Cheesecake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Strawberry Cloud Dessert from Shockingly Delicious
- Homemade Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Cherry Kolaches from The Spiffy Cookie
- Blackberry Bread Pudding from Eat Move Make
- White Cake with Vanilla Cherry Buttercream Icing from The Beard and The Baker
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones from Mildly Meandering
- Watermelon Slushies from The Domestic Kitchen
Welcome to the 2nd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This sweet week-long event is filled with fun dessert recipes from amazing bloggers and some great giveaways from our generous sponsors! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with y’all and celebrate summertime sweets all week long!
There are 23 wonderful bloggers participating in this year’s event! With over 60 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week too!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – One bottle of Adams Best Vanilla Flavor, Adams Best Prize Winning Pound Cake Mix, Adams Extract Twice as Stong Vanilla and Adams Extract Lemon Extract
Prize #3– Red Star Yeast is giving away an Insulated Tote Bag, “I Knead to be Loaved” Apron, “The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day” Cookbook, Printed recipe ebook, Yeast (three 3-strips of Platinum), French Rolling Pin, Measuring Spoons, Bench Scraper/ Dough Cutter, Dough Whisk, Oven Mitt and Kitchen Towel
Prize #4 — Susquehanna Glass Co. is giving away one set (4 glasses) of Mermaids Stemless Wine Glasses. (like the Mermaid glasses you’ll see in some of our recipes this week!)
Prize #5 — Lodge Cast Iron is giving away one (1) 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. No PO Boxes Please. giveaway runs from July 9th until July 15th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Red Star Yeast, Susquehanna Glass Co. and Lodge Cast Iron! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.